Saturday, January 7, 2012

Safe and Sound

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been through more changes in the past 24 hours than I could ever imagine!!! Well first off, I am safe and sound and sitting in my host mom's house right now. Adriana and Leah (two of the grandchildren) actually just walked in and we talked for awhile, in Spanish of course!  Since I am already on the subject of my host family, let me continue. Last night I eventually found my host family at the airport. Aida (my host mom's daughter) and her best friend Cynthia came and picked me up. This morning I woke up and met the rest of the family. I live in a condo that is connected on either side with Aida and Oscar's (my host mom's son) condos. Everyone is so nice here. I think the first surprise that I am still getting used to is the way you greet people here. When you wake up in the morning, or get home from shopping, school etc. you greet everyone with a kiss on the cheek. After some introductions, we began to get to know each other. Speaking Spanish is hard, but at the same time I am really enjoying it. Adrianna, Leah, Alessia, Flavia, and Luciano are all extremely nice!!! When I talk to them it just makes me think of the pharse "we all smile in the same language." Sometimes I don't understand what they are trying to tell me (especially the 2 year-old and 4 year-old) but when they say something and then laugh it doesn't really matter if I didn't undertand. Flavia and Luciano are still getting used to me (which is very understandable). However, as the day has progressed Flavia has begun to talk to me!!! The parents of these wonderful children are just as great. They are so kind and help me in anyway!!!


Now, moving on to what has happened to me since I flew out of the Omaha airport. On the flight from Omaha to Atlanta I sat by a very nice couple that was traveling to Jamaica for their daughter's wedding. Their were actually 20 people attending this wedding on the flight. My nerves started to kick in as we were being called to board the flight from Atlanta to Peru. As I spoke on the phone to a friend I started getting more and more worried. Once I finished the call the man and his son sitting next to me asked if I was alright. This then spurred a conversation about where we were from and why we were going to Peru. I discovered that the son played football for Ohio and Solich was his coach. At that point I was wishing my three brothers could be with me because I know they would have really enjoyed talking to this man. As we were boarding the plane, the father and son both told me they would keep an eye out for me throughout the plane ride and on our way through customs. Wow, what kind people there are in this world!!!

After almost 8 hours I arrived in Lima. Our flight was late due to head winds that caused mild turbulence about a fourth of the ride. I went through customs and immigration and finally stepped into the room that held everyone who was picking up someone from the airport. There were literally people everywhere holding up signs with someone's name on it. After a couple complications, I finally found my ride and headed to my new house.



I woke up this morning thinking it was 9 AM. I couldn't find a clock and no time is displayed on the microwave. I showered (no hot water) and went next door to find Aida. We began eating breakfast and Aida commented on how early I woke up. Thinking it was close to ten by then I gave her a confused look. She explained to me that it was only 8 AM. Crazy!!! After eating, we packed up and headed to la playa (the beach). Driving here is a lot different than Nebraska. People cut out and in of lanes like crazy. I seriously thought we were going to be in a wreck multiple times. After a 30 or so minute drive we arrived at the beach. I have never seen such crazy waves before. They were HUGE!!! The situation I experienced at the beach was way different then anything I have experienced. People constantly walk up and down the beach selling you anything from clothes, jewelry, food, newspapers or even massages! When we wanted something to eat/drink, my host brother simply had to wave or whistle to get someone's attention who immediately came over and served us.


I would like to finish with one paragraph dedicated to my brother, Paul. He gave me some advice as I said bye to him and a part of the advice was to not be scared to try new foods. Well, breakfast started off with Chocoton. I would describe it as similar to a piece of chocolate cake. The tables at the beaches all had this snack that looks like an uncooked kernal of popcorn. I then had french fries and tried uca which is a type of potato. To drink I tried Lima's signature beverage, Inca Kola. It tastes like bubblegum. I then tried some type of fish that came in a glass filled with milk, onions, and something else green. For lunch I had pollo a la plancha (grilled chicken). Here in Peru we eat breakfast and then lunch at 2 pm and that's it. We don't have dinner so I am actually done eating for the day!


Thank you for all the prayers and encouraging words. Once I figure out how to post pictures I will show you what my new house looks like as well as a couple pictures of Lima!!!


Mary

3 comments:

  1. Mary, It is good you are trying the new food, but be careful. Good to hear you are fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are on a whirlwind of an adventure so far, Mary! I'm so happy that everything is working out for you. :) Keeping you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it in okay Mary! Best of Luck. Have fun and Stay Safe :)!

    ReplyDelete