Sunday, February 19, 2012

The "Countryside" of Peru

Me, Nicki, and Laura enjoying a night at "El Parque de Kennedy" in Miralfores
           This past Tuesday my host mom, host sister and I went to the movie theaters to see a chick flick. I was surprised to discover that the movie was actually in English with Spanish subtitles. It’s just another example of the influence America has here in Perú. In addition to movies in English, American music can be heard everywhere. There are actually specific radio stations that only play American music. One time I was with a couple Peruvian friends and we were all singing the “Y.M.C.A.” song. I asked them if they understood what they were saying in English and they all told me no!!! Also, some words or phrases that the Peruvians use are actually in English such as bowling, baby shower or airline. When someone goes to a birthday party American candy is always distributed such as skittles, M & Ms, 3 Musketeers etc. The writing on all the clothing here is in English. There are even some American restaurants here such as Pizza Hut, Chiles, T.G.I. Fridays etc.

On Thursday I had my conversation class and we gave presentations over the major problems in Perú. I feel like I am starting to know more about Perú than I know about America. My classmate and I actually gave our presentation first over rate of people that are illiterate in Perú. In June of 2011 Peru’s former President Alan Garcia declared Perú as “illiterate free country” and claimed that the rate of illiteracy in Perú is only 2.82%. However, we talked about how in class that Perú’s government is corrupt and has this false illusion of what is going on in Perú. Our teacher told us that in reality the illiteracy rate is more like 10%. Other presentations included the Nutrition/Malnutrition, Concentration/Distribution of the wealth, Employment/Unemployment/Underemployment, and Centralism/Decentralism. I was surprised to discover that the rate of unemployment in Perú has consistently been less than 10% since the 1980s. As the presentation went on the explanation for this rather low percentage is because in Perú 78% of the jobs are informal. This means that the individuals who hold these jobs lack the benefits that many jobs hold such as social security and a retirement plan.

I feel like the entire time since I have been here I have been describing only “the good side of Perú.” The district I live in, Surco, is a very very nice district and one of the wealthier ones in Lima. However, there is the other side of Perú. At night time, especially on the weekends, when you come to a major intersection you can always see someone performing some talent they have. Many people juggle, perform acts involving fire, or do some sort of trick. Once the stoplight is about to turn green, they then go from car to car asking for money. You can also often find beggars in the street with some type of impairment (blindness, missing an arm etc.) that ask for money. I have also seen people rummaging through the trash looking for food and I have seen people bathing in the middle of the street. It just reminds me of how lucky I am to live the life I do. 

Real Felipe

Pirate at Real Felipe who gave a hilarious performance



Yesterday the UNK students had another class field trip and we went to Real Felipe. Real Felipe is a military fortress. There, we were able to enter in to some really cool buildings and learn a lot more about the history of Perú. The most well-known war here in Perú was the Pacific War which involved Chile vs. Peru. It is so well-known due to the fact that Perú lost a lot of land and Chile was also able to establish a large influence in Perú. For instance, two very famous clothing stores here are Saga and Ripley. They are actually originally from Chile. We also were able to see the three Peruvian flags. The original Peruvian flag was deemed too complicated so they created a new one. The people then said that this new flag appeared too much like the flag of Spain so they then created a third flag (Peru’s current flag). Dad I thought of you the whole time because I know you would have loved learning all about the history of Perú.



My First Wedding        


Yesterday evening I attended my first wedding in Perú. In high school I wanted to major in event planning because that is how much I LOVE weddings. I was soooo excited to get to experience a wedding in Perú. I got a little suspicious when I came back from the field trip and my host brother said my host mom and sister were at the hair dresser getting ready. He asked me if I was going to meet up with him. In America only the bride and the wedding party go to the hairdresser to get their hair and nails done so I was a little confused. When my host mom and sister got back from the hairdresser they asked to see the dress I was wearing. When I showed it to my host mom it just seemed like something was a little off. It was about 4:30 and my host sister came in my room telling me I needed to get ready. We weren’t leaving until 5:15 and I had already showered and everything. I didn’t know what she was talking about. All I had left to do was put on a little make-up which would take less than five minutes. I soon realized my mistake. When my host mom called my name and said “vamos” I came out of my room to see her in an elegant black sparkly floor-length dress. She and her daughter both had their hair, make-up and nails all done. We then proceeded outside and met up with the others who were attending the wedding. I quickly learned that when you attend a wedding here you go all out. The majority of the women wearing floor-length dresses and all the men are in tuxes. We arrived at the church and it was decorated BEAUTIFULLY. There were white flowers everywhere and the center aisle was decorated with white fabric as well. I was pleasantly surprised to discover an entire music ensemble consisting of a violin, trumpet, cello, piano and then about 5 singers. I was a little confused when the ceremony began because I did a quick tally and there were only 29 guests there. I turned to my host sister and asked her what was going on. She told me that there would be more people coming but they were just late. I feel like I have gotten used to Peruvians being late. Whenever we are meeting up with a native to do something I always show up thirty minutes after the scheduled time and I am still always early. But being late to a wedding??? CRAZY!!! The ceremony in general was a typical Catholic wedding. However, things started getting different when it was time to sign the papers. The legal papers are actually signed in front of the entire congregation. First the newlyweds sign it and then afterwards the couple’s godparents sign it as the witnesses. Then, it was picture time. You know how in the U.S. the wedding party photos are taken either before or after the wedding??? Well here, all the guests watch as the photographer creates various arrangements with different people. First it was just the couple, then the couple and their parents, then with the flower girls etc. After the ceremony it was very similar to the U.S. in regards to the fact that there was a line formed to congratulate the couple and then the reception was to follow.

            Today was spent at a friend’s house playing some soccer and volleyball and swimming. After lunch everyone just sat around and we had a nice conversation telling jokes and stories. Before we went to this house my friend said we were going to his second house “in the country.” For those of you that live in Nebraska, our definition of country is a little different then what I saw today. This house was surrounded by other houses on all sides and there were stores and people everywhere!!! It wasn’t exactly what I pictured when he told me I was going to the country!

I anxiously await this coming Thursday when we take off for Cusco/Macchu Piccu!!! We recently received our itinerary for our trip this upcoming week and I CANNOT wait!!! It looks AMAZING!!! I’ll be sure to post many pictures!!!

I hope life is good wherever you may be!!! I miss all of you bunches!
<3 Mary 

No comments:

Post a Comment