Tuesday, February 14, 2012

SORPRESA!!!!

The guests at Derek's party!!!

¡Feliz cumpleaños a Derek!

The Indian Market


Over the past week and a half or so I had been communicating with Derek’s host family here and we planned a surprised birthday party for him. Yesterday evening after class was over all the students from UNK headed over to Derek’s house while Nicki, Laura, and I stayed back and distracted Derek. After twenty minutes or the four of us started making our way over to Derek’s house and when he walked outside to the balcony everyone was there to surprise him! We had a fun evening that was spend eating delicious food (pizza, hamburgers, two different types of cookies and two different types of chocolate cake) and conversing amongst ourselves.

I haven’t journaled for awhile so let me recap on what I have been up to over the past week or so. Wednesday evening I went to this soccer tournament with Derek’s host sister’s boyfriend. All the alums from a high school get together every year and create a team. They then battle against other teams that represent different high schools in Lima. Thursday after class I headed to my host mom’s annual church fundraiser/celebration. Every Tuesday my host mom participates in a church group for retired women. Last Thursday they held their annual event which was full of food, music, and words of wisdom.

That brings me to the weekend. Friday was spent at what would be equivalent to a country club in Nebraska. We were able to go swimming and even play some tennis! J That evening we headed over to Laura’s house for a movie night. Saturday students from UNK were accompanied by students from UPC to the Indian market. At the Indian market there are authentic souvenirs from the indigenous people for tourists to buy. You can barter the price and get most of the items for fairly cheap. Sunday I spent with my family going to church and just hanging out! Sunday was also the day that guests started arriving. One of the neighbors is celebrating the matrimony of their daughter this upcoming weekend. The story of this couple is CRAZY!!! The parents of the bride have two daughters. One of their daughters is already married and lives in the United States because that is where her husband is from. While professional photos were being taken during this daughter’s wedding the bride actually introduced her sister to her new brother-in-law (the groom’s brother) and low and behold this weekend the sister and brother are getting married. I am actually going to this wedding and am super excited. Some of the guests that have arrived actually speak English and there will be an interpreter at the wedding since the groom in from the U.S.

Yesterday night I had just lain down for the night around 11:45 P.M. I was lying in bed doing my nightly prayers when all of a sudden the earth started shaking!!! The windows and everything around me started making noise as they were slowly being shaken. I racked my brain to last Thursday during class when my professor told me what to do during an earthquake. Unfortunately, I couldn’t remember if I was supposed to stay in my bed or move to the doorway. I decided to wait it out in my bed. After the earthquake past my host sister came in my room to check on me. This is the third earthquake we have had since I got to Peru however it was the first one I actually felt! It was awesome!!!

There is a lot to look forward to in the upcoming days/weeks. This weekend we will be taking a class field trip to a famous cemetery. Next week we will be going to Machu Picchu!!! We are then headed to Arequipa as known as “The White City” and afterwards we will be going to a theatre here in Lima to see a play!!! This weekend there is also something very special that is going on at UNK. The Newman in Kearney will be having their annual Koinonia Retreat this week. I was able to be a participant in this AMAZING retreat last year and this year I send my thoughts and prayers. Please help me pray this week for all those working and participating in this very special event!

<3 Mary

1 comment:

  1. Oh I hope you post some pictures of Machu Piccu. That would be so neat to see.

    I'm not very good at dickering for things. I know they are usually not very well off so I feel mean arguing about paying less.

    And you got to play some tennis too. I bet you impressed them with your skills.

    Enjoy being warm and getting to wear shorts this time of year. I'm looking forward to seeing all your souvenirs from the markets.

    Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete