Friday, February 10, 2012

Kindness in the Most Unexpected Places

Oscar and Raul
(The friends we have met that we spend the most time with  here!)


“Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God’s kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.” Mother Teresa

            Throughout this whole experience, but especially over this past week the kindness of others has really overwhelmed me. How did I not realize this while I was in Kearney??? Strangers, my new host family, other students here in Peru from UNK, friends and family back home, and so many more have amazed me with their kindness over the past month.

            The Peruvian friends I have made here go above and beyond to make us feel comfortable and to do anything they can to help us out. The two friends we have met here in Peru that we spend the most time with are constantly showing us around Lima or giving us advice about which places are safe to go to and which are not. Another friend I just met invited me to his soccer game this past Wednesday and since we met he has been extremely nice always helping me with any questions I have. I have already written about the stranger in the library who lended me a helping hand when I was ready to throw in the towel.

            Since I came here I have become pretty close with three students from Nebraska in particular. The kindness they have shown me never ceases to amaze me. We always look out for each other and make sure one another is both safe and/or emotionally stable if one of us had a rather challenging day. We always help each other with any homework trouble we have or are able to share our thoughts and struggles with each other.
            You honestly don’t realize how much you took something for granted until it is taken away from you. It never even occurred to me that I would miss saying hi to people in-between classes at UNK. In a way, however, I think this void has been filled by the way in which I have truly been able to see God’s kindness in the faces and actions of others. I can’t believe how unappreciative and unobservant I was of all the little acts of kindness someone did for me while I was back home. Thank you all so much for the messages, packages, skype conversations, thoughts and prayers. I hope you realize how much all of it really means to me. The kindness of others has really been inspiring me to live out the Christian live God has called me to live.

<3 Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment