Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Beginning of the End


I <3 my host family!
"Peru 2012"

            Normally, I sit down and write my blog every Sunday night. However, this week I have been avoiding writing it because I know it is the beginning of the end of my time here in Peru. Before I know it, I will be boarding that plane to head back to Nebraska :( I actually just got back from taking a final and that leaves me with my very last class/final on Thursday. Tonight, I have to say good-bye to one of my host sisters because she is going to Atlanta for awhile and by the time she gets back I will have already returned to America. Where did time go??? I remember boarding that plane in Nebraska thinking that these would be the longest four months of my life. Now, I don’t want to leave. I am going to miss my friends/family, speaking Spanish every day, the beach and so much more!!!!!!!!!!!!!


            Well, enough with the sadness, it’s time to tell you all about the AWESOME weekend I had. Friday morning I headed to one of the local high schools here in Lima to do a little bit of research for a project I am conducting while I am here in Peru. After my nice visit, I went to return to my house and before I knew it I was lost. The person I arrived as to Peru three and a half months ago would have freaked. However, after 14 weeks of Lima I was somewhat confident in my abilities. I was walking down the street actually thinking to myself, “this is kind of funny,” when all of a sudden the man that collects your money in the combi yelled UPC (my university) at me. I hopped in the bus and took my first ever combi ride solo. Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed myself. It was about 1 P.M. so that means the combi was stuffed to the brim. There were no seats left so I was left standing surrounded by people at all sides. It was so crowded I couldn’t even look out the window and see when it was time for me to get off!!! After finally making it to my university, I felt like I had conquered Lima.
Fabricio and Nela straigthening my hair!!!

            Later that afternoon, I headed to Nicki’s to get ready for a nice thank-you dinner with our professors. After showering (my house had no water) Fabricio and Nela (Nicki’s roommates) told me they wanted to straighten my hair because no true Peruvian girl would ever have curly hair. After 30 minutes or so of arguing, I finally gave it. As true Peruvians, we were running way behind. We were supposed to meet up with all the other UNK students and our professors at 6 P.M. It was already 5:30 and my hair was still soaking wet!!! Man was Nicki’s apartment a site to see that afternoon!!! We were all running around with our heads cut off trying to get ready. At one point, Fabricio and Nela each had their own straightener and were going at my hair while Emily was doing my makeup. By the time all three of us were ready, it was already 6:30 so we hopped in our own taxi to Barranco. We ate at a restaurant called Rustica and I thought the food was really good. I was a little sad throughout the dinner because it was yet another reminder that we have reached the end of this truly AMAZING experience. After dinner, Laura, Derek, and I hung out and enjoyed walking around Barranco for a little bit! That night we went to club Gotica to celebrate our Peru friend’s, Byran, birthday.

Jesus, Dr. Aviles, Christian, and Roberto
            Before I move on, I would like to give a little tribute to each of our wonderful professors who have helped us make it through these past couple of months. Let me tell you, it has been no easy feat. All of us have different levels of Spanish and as a future teacher, I know how challenging it had to have been to teach to a class with some people who had already lived abroad and were nearly fluent while for others (like me) it was practically the first time in their life they had actually spoken Spanish. First, is Dr. Aviles. Dr. Aviles teaches our indigenous culture class and traveled with us here to Peru from Nebraska. Although he tells us that he feels unneeded here and like he hasn’t really done anything, it is all lies!!! It has been really comforting knowing that someone who speaks fluent English is only just a phone call away. Also, he has helped me numerous times with many activities, including setting up the school observations I go on for my study. I know that if something were to ever go wrong here, he would be at my side in a second. Next, is Christian. He teachers our Peruvian Literature class and is a great role model for me to look up to as a future teacher. I have honestly never seen someone so enthusiastic and passionate about the subject they teach. Throughout class, he is really good about using hand signals and acting out when we don’t understand. I sit here and laugh as I describe him because it has to be absolutely terrible looking out at your audience and seeing that over half of them are sleeping when you think what you are talking about is one of the most interesting things in the world. Jesus teaches our Conversation and Culture class and I have to say, this is one of my favorite classes I had ever taken. He comes up with all these fun games for us to play and all these entertaining movies for us to watch. Finally, is Roberto. He teachers our grammar class and I like his class a lot because he is definitely tough on us. Other teachers always ask us if they are talking to fast and need to slow down, however, Roberto never does this! He assumes sooner or later we are bound to catch on and I think he has something going with mind-set!

            Now, back to my weekend. I hit the hay Saturday morning at 4:30 A.M. because let me tell you, Peruvians like to party late. Here, the party doesn’t even start till around 1 A.M. However, a very short 2 and a half hours later my two favorite little alarm clocks came in my room and screamed “Maryyyyy, es el cumpleanos de Luciano. Ven. Vamos a abrir los regalos.” (Mary, it’s Lucianos birthday. Come, we are going to open presents.) That afternoon, we had a big party at the house full of friends, family and neighbors. I really enjoyed talking to everyone and felt like a true member of the family!!! That night, we all headed out to a different disco in Miraflores to dance the night away once again!
Happy Birthday Luciano!!!!

            Yesterday, I didn’t have class so Nicki, Hugo, Keyla, Thania and I headed to PinkBerry so I could try it for the first time. Afterwards, I met up with Laura to go to church. I bought some rosaries here in Peru and I really wanted to get them blessed by a priest. However, I am naturally shy and normally wouldn’t even want to approach a priest in Nebraska, let alone in Peru. After church was over last night, I knew I had to take the opportunity since it might be the last one I had. So, Laura, my host sister and I found the priest and I asked him if he would be willing to bless my rosaries. And guess what?!?! We ended up having a nice little conversation!!!!

            Well, that about sums up my weekend! Now, it’s time to get started on the huge to-do list awaiting me! Hope all is well wherever you are!!!

            Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment