Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Just living and loving life in PERU!!!!!!!

Me, Hugo, Nicki, Laura, and Derek!
          
            This past week was actually relatively calm. I didn’t go on a trip to a different part or have any major obligations to fulfill. It was actually really nice just to be able to relax and enjoy life in Lima, Peru!!! J Since I didn’t have anything incredible happen to me this past week, this blog is going to be filled with some random things!

1.)    My favorite part of coming home from Arequipa was the greeting I got from Luciano. I walked into the house and his face lit up when he saw me. I was standing in the doorway and Aida (Sr.) couldn’t see me. She asked Luciano “¿Quien es?” He got a big smile on his face and said “Maryyyyyyyy!!!” Oh how I will miss my family!
2.)    We started going on school visits to surrounding high schools! I am amazed at their level of English, especially at the Monday school. The students speak fluently in English. Some of the classes they take are actually in English rather than Spanish, such as Biology! It’s just so hard for me to think that I have been studying Spanish for 6 years and am nowhere close to the level I want to be at while these students speak fluently in English without ever having been to an English speaking country!
3.)    Last week was filled with exams. Believe it or not, I actually really enjoyed my test on Wednesday. It was a 20 minute or so oral exam that began with my teacher and I conversing about an article titled, “Una Mirada al creacionismo” (A Glance at the Creation). I also feel like I learned a lot from the test I took on Thursday over the subjunctive tense. Who would have ever know that if an adjective follows the verb “parecer” than the verb has to be in the subjunctive tense??? I just love the Spanish language!
4.)    Saturday night we had bonfire round 2!!! It was TONS of fun! We chilled on the beach, took pictures, made smores, and listened to music!!! Its times like this that make me never want to go home!!!!
5.)    Even though I make a countless amount of mistakes when I talk in Spanish, I absolutely LOVE speaking the language and am going to miss it sooooo much!!!
6.)    I have to say, I stole this quote from my friend, Amanda. Her skype status has been “just living and loving life” since I meet her. But it’s soooo true, I am just living and loving life here in Peru and I wish I had another half a year or so here to spend more time with my family/friends, to keep improving my Spanish, and to just be amidst the culture!

Laura and I at the bonfire! <3

            Sunday marked the beginning of Holy Week here. I am beyond stoked to experience this week here in Peru. My family has already let me in a couple tidbits of what we will be doing! Holy Week started out with a bang when we went to church on Sunday. The palms that are given out here are awesome! They come in all different shapes/designs. Church started with an actual reenactment of Jesus entering Jerusalem! I can’t wait to see what is to come!

Wishing you all a faith-filled Holy Week!

Mary 

1 comment:

  1. Mary, Hope you have a Happy Easter in Peru. Logan and I are traveling to Kearney to spend it with your folks. Aunt Anne

    ReplyDelete